- Bloch Labs: Smaller, More-Economical Vacuum Gauges, Venture kick
- Density control of GaN quantum dots on AlN single crystal, Sebastian Tamariz, Gordon Callsen and Nicolas Grandjean, Appl. Phys. Lett. 114, 082101 (2019)
- InAlN underlayer for near ultraviolet InGaN based light emitting diodes, Camille Haller, Jean-François Carlin, Mauro Mosca, Marta D. Rossell, Rolf Erni and Nicolas Grandjean, Appl. Phys. Express 12, 034002 (2019)
- Low-temperature growth of n++-GaN by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition to achieve low-resistivity tunnel junctions on blue light emitting diodes, Pirouz Sohi, Mauro Mosca, Yao Chen, Jean-François Carlin and Nicolas Grandjean, Semicond. Sci. Technol. 34, 015002 (2019)
- Optical absorption edge broadening in thick InGaN layers: Random alloy atomic disorder and growth mode induced fluctuations, Raphaël Butté, Lise Lahourcade, Tomas Kristijonas Uždavinys, Gordon Callsen, Mounir Mensi, Marlene Glauser, Georg Rossbach, Denis Martin, Jean-François Carlin, Saulius Marcinkevičius and Nicolas Grandjean, Appl. Phys. Lett. 112, 032106 (2018)
- Optical absorption and oxygen passivation of surface states in III-nitride photonic devices, Ian Rousseau, Gordon Callsen, Gwénolé Jacopin, Jean-François Carlin, Raphaël Butté and Nicolas Grandjean, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 113103 (2018)
- A quantum optical study of thresholdless lasing features in high-β nitride nanobeam cavities, Stefan T. Jagsch, Noelia Vico Triviño, Frederik Lohof, Gordon Callsen, Stefan Kalinowski, Ian M. Rousseau, Roy Barzel, Jean-François Carlin, Frank Jahnke, Raphaël Butté, Christopher Gies, Axel Hoffmann, Nicolas Grandjean and Stephan Reitzenstein, Nature Commun. 9, 564 (2018)
LASPE’s research activity aims at exploring novel quantum heterostructures based on III-nitride semiconductors for both photonics and electronics. This covers a broad research area starting from the physics of wide-bandgap nanocavities and nanostructures to device technology, like short-wavelength lasers or blue vertical cavity surface emitting lasers.
Microcavities for Strong Coupling
Growth and physics of AlInN/(Al)GaN microcavities and waveguides for polariton physics and novel photonic devices such as polariton-based nonlinear emitters and novel photonic integrated circuits.
Quantum Dots and Nanostructures
Experimental study of wide-bandgap quantum wells and quantum dots aimed at cavity quantum electrodynamics in solid-state physics. Zero-dimensional structures for UV and visible optoelectronics including site-controlled dots.
Two- and One-dimensional Photonic Crystals
Investigation of GaN on silicon two-dimensional and one-dimensional photonic crystal nanocavities and waveguides operating in the telecommunication bands (1.3 and 1.55 μm, passive structures) as well as in the visible range (high-β nanolasers).
Short-Wavelength Light Emitters
Exploring new routes for short-wavelength optoelectronics: e.g., high reflectivity lattice-matched AlInN/(Al)GaN DBRs for VCSELs. High-frequency pulsed blue lasers, superluminescent light emitting diodes (SLEDs), and high power edge emitting blue laser diodes.
High Power and High Frecuency Transistors
Growth and physics of InAlN/GaN and AlN/GaN 2D electron gas heterojunctions for high-electron mobility transistors. (In collaboration with Prof. Bolognesi at ETH Zürich)